Sunday, November 26, 2006

Google satellite map of bangalore

Today i spent some time working with Google maps. I do not know if Google or yahoo has map data for Bangalore. so i am working with satellite maps. Meanwhile i will continue the hunt for map data also. I am more interested in showing hot-spots within a radius of x miles when the map is centered on some well known location. so far i have managed to do the following
  • get the clicked point's lat and lon data
  • tool tip for the place marks
  • loading place marks on demand with the server supplied JSON data
  • change center of map based on what well-known point the user wants
  • place zoom and drag controls
  • mouse click handler for markers and map
I have not yet solved the show hot spots within a radius problem. I will plug that tomorrow. I think i have the basic ingredients now. sprinkle some ajax dust and soon i will have my small app ready ;o) Biggest headache now is to get the lat and lon data of well-known places in bangalore. I can do it manually using google earth but that would take a lot of time. I will post the code tomorrow or whenever i manage to finish.
© Life of a third world developer
Maira Gall